Friday, August 17, 2007

Forwarded to me:


The longer your e-mail signature, the lower down the food chain you are.

Some people put a whole novel in their sig:

Their full name, including "Jr." or "Sr."
Job title, which generally includes both the words "deputy" and assistant.
Streetmail address with mail stop.
Business phone number, with different versions for people dialing from the internal corporate PBX vs. people dialing from outside.
E-mail address. 'Cuz it's not like it's in the "From:" line of every e-mail or anything.
And finish it off with an inspirational quote from Battlestar Galactica.
If that's a description of your signature, then you're a flunky. Time for a Starbucks run, Commander Starbuck.

Some people include signoffs like "Cheers!" and "Thanks!" and "Best!"; others don't bother.

I never gave that one any thought until the New York Times analyzed signoffs and determined that a brisk signoff is tantamount to a brushoff.

This is something else for me to feel self-conscious about. Thanks, New York Times.

Some people's signatures are way too long.

One of my colleagues - actually one of my favorite people in this company, so I'll avoid naming him here - has a twenty-one line e-mail signature, which includes:

his name
title
Streetmail address
Three instant message IDs
E-mail
URLs for two sites he edits
Second Life avatar name
Name of the location of his office in Second Life
And the office's Second Life co-ordinates, or "SLURL."
Contrary to my earlier observation, this person is actually not a flunky; he has an important position. Wish somebody could get him to slim down his 800-pound e-mail signature.

What should people put in their e-mail signatures? What do you have in yours? Let us know.

8 comments:

  1. name
    title
    company name
    street address
    email address
    work phone
    cell phone
    url for the site

    a closing "thanks"

    If all that keeps me down on the pole, that's good with me.
    I have seen the view up there
    and it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my personal email account it's just a:
    Thanks,
    Jay

    And from work it's

    name
    Company Name
    Job Title
    Number + Extension
    Email addy
    And a nice Company logo graphic

    I've often thought of adding a quote, but I haven't found one that quite fits me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have an email sig.

    That means I must be on the top or the bottom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have anything at all. I sign them manually and usually just with initials.
    But, I know some people, like your friend, whose signature is the size of MySpace profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sign off with my name, and a paraphrase from a Philip K. Dick story, substituting my name for the character's. This is an oblique reference to the fact that name often gets mispelled. I usually take the misquote off when sending a formal email, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A name and a quotation. Hehe.

    Anony Mouse
    "The highest result of education is tolerance." ~ Helen Keller

    ReplyDelete
  7. My .sig

    --
    Coming to you from the screen of Shockwave Plasma

    A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

    Albert Einstein

    http://shockwaveplasma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete