Thursday, August 16, 2007

Second Life, Culture, Peace

I don't know where I heard it, but it is probably a song name or CD name: "Keep your hands off my power supply." Google tells me it is an album. OK another bit of trivia answered by the greatest search engine in the world. The truth is the wealthy people I have met have this as their creed: the set up a flow of money, and they expect it to continue. Their whole world is about making sure that that supply stays hooked in. Liberal or conservative or flaming crazy, that is what makes them rich, and the rest of us have to work for a living. They get money from other people doing things. It's a tax on what you do and say and think.'

It is no exageration to say that our culture is produced the same way our poultry or our oil is. Chickens lay the eggs, but don't generally get the best of the deal. Sure a few get to star in Purdue commercials. The rest get to see most of their eggs eaten. The same is true with people who produce culture. Some make out very well. The rest get to see other people eat their creative efforts. That's the way it is.

VR is a chance to make progress on something that I believe in: having a vibrant culture that is not connected to this direction. Larry Lessig calls it free culture, and that's not exactly right. And it isn't "bottom up." Bottom up culture is "wanna fuck?" That's what the bottoms (/me giggles) demand random, no cost anything. "Here we are now," as the song goes "entertain us."

However it won't appen if we don't look at it as being an important part of what we share here. Our time here is so fragile.

I don't have big picture suggestions, nor am I going to offer up the kumbaya kind of be nice to local content. On the other hand, real steps are needed, so I'm open to suggestions, and will help as I am able.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure if I agree, disagree or even understand.

    I have a job in Rl where I help build online applications. In Sl I just have fun and pay money to do so.

    In the future I will teach and write books, because I think it will help people.

    I don't know much about producing culture. I have tried to be famous and it didn't work - there just is no way to predict it. I tried to do "just what I wanted" and that did not really make me comfortable.

    I seem to be trying a balance of moderation and extremism and a policy of both affection and mistrust.

    ReplyDelete